Justin W Griffin, MD
Shoulder Surgeon, Cartilage Restoration, Sports Medicine Orthopaedic Surgeon
Dr. Justin Griffin, a native of Virginia Beach, is fellowship-trained orthopaedic shoulder, elbow and knee surgeon, and sports medicine specialist serving the greater Hampton Roads area and surrounding communities. Offering both surgical and nonsurgical treatments for the shoulder, elbow and knee, Dr. Griffin’s practice utilizes a combination of approaches designed for each patient with an emphasis on restorative procedures such as transplants and joint preserving techniques that are alternatives to conventional shoulder, knee and elbow replacements for active patients. Minimally-invasive, state-of-the-art, arthroscopic techniques are used to accelerate the recovery process for challenging conditions such as rotator cuff disease, shoulder instability, knee ligament injuries as well as shoulder and elbow arthritis and stiffness. His specialties include advanced arthroscopic reconstructive techniques of the shoulder and knee, total shoulder replacement including reverse shoulder arthroplasty, elbow ligament reconstruction, pediatric sports medicine, cartilage restoration/transplantation and all-arthroscopic knee ligament reconstruction.
Dr. Griffin graduated first in his medical school class Summa Cum Laude from Loyola University Chicago’s Stritch School of Medicine with Honors in research and was selected into the Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) national honor medical society and Alpha Sigma Nu Honor Society. Dr. Griffin then went on to complete his orthopaedic surgery training at the University of Virginia where he was selected as resident of the year and chief administrative resident. During his time in Charlottesville, Dr. Griffin received numerous teaching awards including the Gold Humanism and excellence in teaching award and was selected into the Mulholland Society for his educational aptitude, which he now applies to his patient interactions and teaching medical students. He was then selected to receive advanced specialized training in comprehensive shoulder surgery, knee and sports medicine completing the internationally acclaimed fellowship at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago with many of the nation’s leading experts. Following this fellowship, Dr. Griffin spent additional time with surgeons at the Mayo Clinic studying advance shoulder and elbow surgery. During his time in Chicago, he served as faculty at several courses focused on advanced techniques for Shoulder Surgery and Arthroscopic Surgery.
Prior to joining the Jordan-Young Institute, Dr. Griffin assisted in caring for the Chicago White Sox, Chicago Bulls, DePaul University, and University of Virginia and James Madison University athletes. Dr. Griffin is involved in multiple orthopaedic sports medicine and shoulder societies such as the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, the Arthroscopy Association of North America, and the MidAtlantic Shoulder and Elbow Society. Finally, Dr. Griffin serves as a reviewer for multiple journals including for the Arthroscopy journal, and the Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery.
In addition to his clinical practice, Dr. Griffin is actively involved in Orthopaedic shoulder and sports medicine research. His research interests include knee ligament reconstruction, overhead injuries in athletes, all-arthroscopic rotator cuff repair, shoulder instability and labrum repair, and treatment of shoulder arthritis in young and old patients. He is actively involved in research to develop and perfect new treatment strategies to allow for faster and more complete recovery following both non-operative and surgical care of shoulder, elbow and knee conditions. More recent research interests include the application of biologic therapies such as the use of growth factors and stem cells to augment healing.
Compassionate Patient Care
Dr. Justin Griffin is dedicated to the treatment of all patients regardless of how minor or complex the injury. An advocate for education, research and patient care, Dr. Griffin is dedicated to helping his patients no matter if they are a professional athlete, weekend warrior or have a desire to get back to activities to remain healthy and active. Dr. Griffin and his team recognize the impact an injury or painful joint can have on all aspects of a patient’s life and well-being. Their team approach is first and foremost to provide the highest level of clinical care to maximize outcome and recovery. In addition, they feel that patient education to facilitate shared decision-making based on the latest evidence is critical to achieving a successful outcome. Dr. Griffin and his office staff strive to provide a warm, welcoming, supportive and efficient patient experience.
Dr. Griffin lives in Virginia Beach with his wife and children.
- Dr. Griffin is affiliated with Sentara Leigh Hospital in Norfolk, VA operating Tuesdays and Thursdays. He sees patients at the Jordan-Young Insititute Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
- He is also affiliated with Eastern Virginia Medical School in Norfolk Virginia performing research and teaching.
- Comprehensive Shoulder Surgery
- Sports Medicine
- Shoulder Replacement and Revision
- Cartilage Transplantation
- Shoulder, Elbow, and Knee Surgery
- Assistant Professor of Surgery, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, VA
- Reviewer: Arthroscopy: Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery
- Reviewer: Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery
- Chicago Bulls, Team Physician
- Chicago White Sox, Assistant Team Physician
- McDonalds All-American Games, Team Physician
- MLB Spring Training, Team Physician
- Chicago Steele Hockey, Team Physician
- DePaul University, Assistant Team Physician
- Chicago Arena Football, Assistant Team Physician
- Thornton Fraction North High School, Team Physician
- Charlottesville High School Football, Team Physician
- James Madison University
- University of Virginia
- Western Albermarle High School Football, Team Physician
- Woodberry Forest High School Football, Assisted with Team Coverage
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Virginia Orthopaedic Society
- MidAtlantic Shoulder and Elbow Society
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
Education & Training
- Rush University Medical Center
Fellowship, Shoulder & Elbow Reconstruction, Cartilage Restoration, Sports Medicine/Arthroscopic Surgery
- University of Virginia
Residency, Orthopaedic Surgery
- University of Virginia
Internship, General Surgery
- Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
- James Madison Univerisy
Certifications & Licensure
- IL State Medical License
Active through 2017
- IN State Medical License
Active through 2017
- VA State Medical License
Active through 2013
- Click here to view complete profile